DMS and H2S have the greatest impact on the taste of beer, so it is necessary to maintain proper levels of DMS in beer to ensure the quality of the beer.
- Choose barley with moderate protein content and use cool malt technique to reduce the formation of DMS-P.
- Increase the boiling intensity to promote the full evaporation of DMS.
- pH value of saccharification water is 5.2-5.5 to inhibit the hydrolysis reaction of DMS-P.
- Use yeast stain with more sulfide.
- Control fermentation conditions: dissolved oxygen 8-10mg/L; yeast (1.0-1.5) x 10^7 pieces/ml; cool fermentation.
- Use CO2 to clean the beer. This will reduce DMS by 50%.
- Protect the beer from sunlight and store the beer at a lower temperature.
- Do not pasteurize beer at too high a temperature and for too long after bottling.